Pages

Monday, July 19, 2010

Ilish Dim-er Chorchori (Hilsa egg spicy stir fry)

A few months back, when I was in an Indian (Bangladeshi) store, I picked up some packaged Hilsa Eggs. These have been my all-time favorite since my childhood. Not only that, the demand for this is very steep in my home. I might sound unbelievable, but I’d actually have to trick my 2 year old to get a bite of it.


Generally, I’d keep it simple, and following my maa’s footsteps, I’d fry them with a little turmeric and salt to go with masoor daal. However, this time I wanted to make something out of it so that I could survive for two days at least.


Ingredients:

• Hilsa egg – 1 pkt (250gms)
• Onions – 1 medium chopped coarse
• Garlic – 3 cloves sliced
• Green Onions – 1 ½ bunch chopped coarse
• Red chilli flakes – ½ tbsp
• Turmeric – 1 tsp
• Black pepper powder – ½ tsp
• Garam Masala – 1 tsp
• Salt to taste
• Sugar – 1tsp
• Oil
• Ghee (clarified butter) – 1 tsp

Method:

• Thaw the hilsa egg pack completely.
• Heat oil in a pan
• When enough heated, add the hilsa eggs to it.
• Add turmeric and salt to it.
• As you fry the hilsa eggs, try to break it down with the spatula to medium chunks. It is ok to have some crumbles too.
• Keep the above fried eggs aside.
• Now heat some more oil and add the chopped onions.
• When the onions turn transparent, add the garlic to it. Sauté the mixture for 1 minute.
• Now add the seasonings like red pepper flakes, black pepper, turmeric, salt and sugar.
• Keep the above stirring and add the fried hilsa eggs.
• Stir well to evenly coat the masala.
• Add the chopped green onions at this point followed by garam masala and a little bit of ghee.
• Turn off the stove and let the green onions wilt a little.
• Serve it over white rice.

Notes:

• This will be an oily dish with very least amount of water. I have not used any water in the above recipe. The moisture comes from the two kinds of onions.
• You could even use Grass-carp (rui/rohu) eggs also for this dish.
• The heat level of this dish is a little on the higher side.

3 comments:

  1. now I want to have this asap :)). Looks sooooo tempting. How I wish we still lived in the same city.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks so yummy...Where do you buy the hilsa egg separately, in Bangla Bazar?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Debola: Yes you could get the hilsa eggs at Bangla Bajar. They have it in ready to cook blocks. Also you may use fresh ones if you have hilsa at home.

    ReplyDelete